Police Report Requests

UPD star - captain's star

Police Reports


he requesting party must complete the SFSU PD ‘Request for Records/Report Release’ form. It is available as a fillable PDF that you may print and mail. The request form must be filled out completely, as failure to fill out the form completely may result in delay or denial of the request. If the case or incident number is not known, the records supervisor will be able to get the information with the involved person's name/involved vehicle/etc.

By Mail
You can mail a completed request form with check, cashier’s check, or money order for $10per report (Payable to ‘SF State’) to the University Police Department at: 

San Francisco State University Police Department
Attention Records
1600 Holloway Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94132

If mailing your request, be sure to include a form of payment or your request will not be processed and mailed to you. If sent without payment, you may be required to pay and pick up the report in person.


In Person
The request form can also be brought in to or filled out at the University Police Department in person, where you may pay by credit/debit card. The University Police Department does not accept cash or checks in person.

Routine requests will be processed within 10 working days. In some cases, reports may be processed for requests made in person on a case by case basis. 


Please Note
Some reports are not releasable, and others that are may require you to pick them up in person. Examples of special circumstances:

  • Cases involving arrests are not releasable until adjudicated in court
  • Cases under investigation are not releasable until the investigation is complete
  • Cases involving juveniles must be petitioned for at Juvenile Court prior to request
  • Cases involving mental health detentions are not releasable
  • Cases involving medical incidents are only releasable to the injured party.
  • Cases involving victims of violent crimes, domestic violence, sex offenses, or cases involving confidential victims may only be released to the victim or authorized representative in person at the University Police Department.
  • For Victim/Involved Party safety, these are released in person with proof of ID
  • All Media requests must go through University Communications, (415) 338-1665


If you have any questions, contact the Records Department at (415) 338-2095, Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Request for Copy of a Police Report

This form requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have Acrobat Reader you can download it free from Adobe.