The San Francisco State University Citizen’s Academy is a program designed to educate members of the campus community about law enforcement on our campus through various methods of instruction including lectures, activities, discussions and scenario training. In addition to learning about law enforcement and community service, students will have the opportunity to explore new career opportunities and develop relationships that will last well beyond the course.
- To promote the San Francisco State University Police Department as an agency that is dedicated to the students, staff and faculty of our campus, and to the community we live in.
- To educate the public about the necessity of a positive community/police relationship.
- To provide members of the public the opportunity to learn from officers who have knowledge in a variety of areas of law enforcement.
- To provide transparency and build trusting relationships with the members of our community.
- To have fun!
The Citizen’s Academy is not designed to be a substitute for accredited law enforcement training and does not make a participant a certified law enforcement officer nor is it designed to train citizens to perform any law enforcement duties. Further, the Citizen’s Academy does not provide legal advice or teach people how to circumvent the law.
- Participation in all activities and discussion.
- Participants are allowed one absence each.
- The 1st and last sessions are mandatory.***(Unless a pre-approved absence has been authorized)***
- Participants must adhere to the SFSU campus rules, Student Code of Conduct and parking regulation/fees.
- Must be at least 18 years or older.
Classes are held every Wednesday during the seven week Academy from 4:00PM-5:30PM for this remote version of the program this semester. To qualify, you have to be an SFSU student, faculty or staff member and applicants are subject to a minimal background check prior to being accepted.
Submit a completed application.
***Submitting an application DOES NOT guarantee acceptance into the program***
- Review of Application by the department.
- Selected applicants will receive program overview and packet; non-selected applicants will receive email notification.
- Review your participant program overview and release of liability waiver.
- Signed waivers are due before 1st day of class to participate.
Please fill out an application if you are interested:
Class of 2018
For PDF files, you'll need Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or above to view it. If you need Adobe Acrobat Reader it's available free from Adobe.